I am qualified to offer a full range of notarial services including:-

  • Preparing and administrating affidavits and statutory declarations
  • Preparing and witnessing Powers of Attorney for use abroad
  • Witnessing and authenticating the signature or execution of documents for both individuals and corporate entities
  • Providing notarised copies of documents
  • Completing American acknowledgments
  • Drawing up Ship Protests
  • Noting and protesting foreign Bills of Exchange
  • Arranging translations
  • Notarising documents required for inter-country adoptions
  • “Legalisation” of documents via the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and all major embassies and consulates

In some cases the notarised document will have to be legalised. This is a procedure whereby the Foreign and Commonwealth Office certifies that the Notary is in fact a Notary by attaching a certificate known as an Apostille to the document. In some instances it will be necessary for the document to be also sent to the Consulate of the receiving country who will confirm that the Apostille is authentic.

You may need to see a Notary to:

  • Obtain a certified copy of a passport
  • Obtain certified copies of documents such as examination or qualification certificates
  • Buy or sell property abroad
  • Prepare a Power of Attorney for use abroad
  • Confirm your single status in order to marry abroad
  • Obtain an Apostille or have a document legalised
  • Have a contract authenticated by a notary
  • Have a translation certified by a notary
  • Deal with any other document for use abroad, where you have been asked to get a document notarised, ‘apostilled’, certified by a notary or signed before a notary

My Terms and Conditions of Business

What is a Notary?

A Notary is a legally qualified practising lawyer whose certification is accepted in many countries throughout the world in dealing with international documentation. That documentation may relate to overseas property or litigation, and the work of the Notary facilitates such transactions by allowing those who appear before him to make legally binding documents in this country for use abroad. The Notary therefore has to work to an extremely high standard and please bear this in mind, as dependent upon which country the document needs to be used in, there are different procedures which I will need to employ to ensure the effectiveness of the documents. These may be time consuming and need intervention of other bodies such as translators and legalisation agents, which are referred to later.

Your documents

When you first contact me, I will ask you for your personal details, and some questions regarding the transaction itself, such as which country it will be used in.  If you have the facilities available you may be asked to forward a copy of the documents together with any covering letter received from the overseas authority/lawyer, by email to john@johnmyersnotary.co.uk.  The reason for this is so that consideration can be given to all aspects of the transaction to ensure its validity, and also that you can be provided with an accurate figure of costs.

Your appointment

You will be given an appointment to see me as soon as practicably possible. Your personal attendance at that appointment is absolutely essential. The transaction cannot proceed unless I see you. When you attend the appointment you must bring with you the following:

  1. Your current United Kingdom passport. You must bring the original, a copy will not suffice.
  2. A utility bill not more than 3 months old showing your name and current residential address. If you do not have a utility bill, another official document such as a recent bank statement may suffice.

You may also be asked to bring with you other documents, for example if you are making the document in a representative capacity, for example on behalf of a company or as the attorney of someone else.

Once I have sufficient evidence of your identity there are various other issues that I need to deal with, such as your understanding of the documents. If they are in a foreign language, a translation may be necessary. Please do not organise this yourself – I will do this, and the cost of the translation will be added to your bill. Once the translation has been done I will then need to discuss your understanding of the transaction itself. If necessary you may be asked to see a lawyer conversant in the law of the country in which the transaction is taking place, for advice. I am not permitted to give you any legal advice. Once satisfied that you are conversant with the transaction and are aware of its implications I need to be satisfied that you are entering it of your own free will.

All of these standards are for your protection – although they may be time consuming and add additional costs my duty to you and anyone relying upon the documents I prepare is to ensure that the transaction proceeds in a correct and legal manner.

The documents can then be notarised, and this may mean the preparation of an additional certificate which I will then sign and seal.

Additional Certification

Different countries in the world have different requirements in respect of documents which are signed overseas. Some countries do not require anything further, others may require the addition of an endorsement by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office called an Apostille, and others may either in addition to, or instead of, require the endorsement by the embassy of the particular country, situated in the UK. This is called legalisation. I can organise this for you but please remember that firstly there will be additional fees payable, and also that it takes time to do this. I will deal with the matter as quickly as I can but I have no control over the Foreign and Commonwealth office or embassies – please be patient! If documents are not legalised correctly then they may not be accepted. You are entitled if you wish to deal with legalisation yourself but I cannot then be responsible for matters once the documents leaves our control.


How much the fees will be in respect of a matter will depend upon how much time I have to spend on it.

I will inform you of my fees at the outset of the matter. I will inform you also of the legalisation requirements, the cost involved, and any additional costs for translations and searches. As the matter progresses I will pay for the disbursements on your behalf but please note that I work on the basis that my account, including all disbursements must be settled before the document is released to you.


I have insurance of £750,000 per claim, and I limit my liability to you to that sum, unless you are injured or die as a result of my negligence in which case my liability is without limit.

Regulation and Complaints

My Notarial Practice is regulated by the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury whose contact details are The Faculty Office 1 The Sanctuary Westminster London SW1P 3JT Telephone 020 7222 5381 Email: faculty.office@1thesanctuary.com  and website: www.facultyoffice.org.uk

If you are dissatisfied about the service you have received please do not hesitate to contact me.

If I am unable to resolve the matter you may then complain to The Notaries Society of which I am a member and who have a Complaints Procedure which is approved by the Faculty Office. This procedure is free to use and designed to provide a quick resolution to any dispute.

In that case please write (but do not enclose any original documents) with full details of your complaint to Christopher Vaughan, The Notaries Society Old Church Chambers 23 Sandhill Road St James Northampton NN5 5LH. Telephone 01604 758908 Email: secretary@thenotariessociety.org.uk.

If you have any difficulty in making a complaint in writing please do not hesitate to call the Notaries Society for assistance.

Finally, even if you have your complaint considered under the Complaints Procedure you may at the end of that procedure or after a period of eight weeks from the date you first notified me that you were dissatisfied, make your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman, if you are not happy with the result. The contact details are Legal Ombudsman PO Box 6806 Wolverhampton WV1 9WJ Telephone number 0300 555 0333. Email: enquiries@legalombudsman.org.uk Website: www.legalombudsman.org.uk

If you decide to make a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman, you must refer your matter to the Legal Ombudsman within six months from the conclusion of the complaint process.